Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Favorite Exercise

I suppose that every guy, myself included, loves bench-pressing and military pressing and basically any type of pressing exercise, but to be honest, the exercise that has done the most for me is the 1-legged deadlift. I use two kettlebells and place one foot in between them. I grip the floor hard with my foot, tighten my leg, then fold over to the bells. First I lift the bell on the right for 2-3 reps, then the bell on the left, then both bells at once. This constantly changing, highly imbalanced load forces me to keep everything tight from my foot, through my leg and back, and into my grip. I can literally feel my nervous system cooking as I fight to keep my balance during each rep. Although it's a pulling exercise, the 1-legged dead has done more for my presses than any other single exercise, because it absolutely demands that you anchor to the floor at every second -- translate that into your presses, and your strength goes up immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.